Thursday 4 January 2007

Bring Me Sunshine

Welcome to my blog. People of a certain age and bearing will immediately know that the song 'Bring Me Sunshine' was synonymous with those legendary British comedians Morecambe and Wise. I watched a documentary just before Christmas which brought to our screens previously unknown details of Eric Morecambe. His wife,sons and daughter had found box loads of private material which,according to the documentary, gave us insight into the real Eric and his family life.It was an excellent programme.As always it brought tears to my eyes,either through the comic genius of Morecambe or, as always seems to happen with me, through the incredible sadness felt at the premature loss of a national treasure (similar footage of Tommy Cooper has the same effect).

Anyway, once again it left me with this incredible desire to study and explore the art of comedy. This blog is called Bring Me Sunshine as a kind of tribute to Morecambe but in reality I will be posting about anything I find funny. Not jokes (my heart stops when somebody starts a conversation with me along the lines of 'I heard a good joke the other day' or 'knock knock' .................invariably it isn't funny and even if it is it won't be told particularly well). The intention is more along the lines of tribute and nostalgic re-collection of magical comedy moments. It will largely be British, television,film or radio related and from the 1960's,1970's or 1980's. I have had loads of conversations with friends(though once again they have to be of a certain age)where we fly from one memory to another. Everyone has a favourite TV clip. A favourite sitcom. A different all time great.I thought it could be fun to record it all. I know that political correctness is going to be an issue and it is a fact that many people(of a certain age!!) find this material hugely funny and entertaining but can't feel entirely comfortable laughing at it anymore. Lets see where all this goes shall we. And maybe I will discover that sitcom fans will also include a few younger people as well.

This is my first attempt at a blog. I am not entirely sure I know what a blog is exactly. But I start it with every intention of keeping it going.

I said I would not be recording jokes as such, but as this first post is in part a tribute to M&W, I will leave you with a gem from Eric.

'Red sky at night shepherds delight , red sky in the morning shepherds house on fire'. Simple but very funny.

No comments: