Friday 5 January 2007

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

I know Christmas has passed for another year. It wasn't until it was all over that I realised I survived the entire festive period without singing so much as a single verse of a carol.

Tomorrow, January 6 is the birthday of Rowan Atkinson. He was born in Consett,County Durham in 1955 , which I reckon makes him 52 years old. We will no doubt return to Mr Atkinson many more times in this appreciation of comedy. I will want to look at The Thin Blue Line at some stage as it was a sitcom I really enjoyed but one that seemed to pass a lot of people by. More of that another time but for today a Mr Bean clip. From 1992 ( OK I know the original intention was 1960's to 1980's but I also said lets just see where this blog goes) and a famous scene from Merry Christmas Mr Bean. Having caught a pick-pocket in town, Bean hands the thief's haul to the conductor of a Salvation Army Brass Band. When the conductor's baton ends up in Atkinson's hand the scene is only going one way.

This was the last Bean episode made by Thames Television and also the last appearance of Irma Gobb (Bean's girlfriend,played by the excellent Matilda Ziegler). Atkinson is at his rubber faced best and shows his clowning genius. The Bean series consisted of 13 shows, from New Years Day in 1990 until the autumn of 1995. A 14th episode, Hair By Mr Bean of London was made in 1995 and appeared on video and DVD releases only. It did not reach television screens until 2006 believe it or not and then only on cable and satellite stations.

No comments: