Wednesday 7 February 2007

Carry On..........The Most




It's been a few weeks since I posted a blog that is a list. I love lists and I also love Carry On films so I hereby combine the two.

In an idle moment , I wondered who, from that amazing cast of comedy legends, had appeared in the most Carry On films. On researching the subject I found it easy enough to get my answer though there is a slight contradiction as to how many films there actually were. The 'problem' film was That's Carry On from 1977. There is no doubt it was a film but was actually released as a support feature to a Richard Harris pic called Golden Rendezvous. It was a compilation Carry On starring Kenneth Williams and Barbara Windsor only. They were in a projectionist's room selecting 'the best bits' from the Carry On's made up until then. I have therefore not counted it in my appearance figures that follow.

So, there were in total 30 Carry On films made, starting in 1958 with Carry On Sergeant and ending in 1992 with Carry On Columbus. Before I list the top 10 Carry On stars by their number of films, it is worth noting a few people who did not make the list. There are some comedy actors who you would automatically think were always in the Carry On's but actually only made a few. Try Frankie Howerd (2), June Whitfield (4), Terry Scott (7). Yes I was surprised at that. Alternatively, I was also surprised that the great Patsy Rowlands made as many as 9, Jack Douglas and Julian Holloway 8, Valerie Leon 6 and Jon Pertwee and Leslie Phillips 4 each ( I would have guessed fewer ). The real shock was Barbara Windsor with a relatively low 9. She first appeared in 1964 in Carry On Spying and finished ten years later with Carry On Dick , leaving 'because she thought they had gone beyond the innocent sauciness which initially drew her to the series'. It was also the last Carry On featuring Sid James. The three stars pictured are, from top to bottom, Peter Gilmore, Valerie Leon and Julian Holloway.

The Top Ten then, was :

10th Peter Gilmore 11 films (nearly all minor roles)

9th Jim Dale 11 films

8th= Hattie Jacques 14 films

8th= Bernard Bresslaw 14 films

6th Peter Butterworth 16 films

5th Kenneth Connor 17 films

4th Sid James 19 films

3rd Charles Hawtrey 23 films

2nd Joan Sims 24 films

1st Kenneth Williams 25 films

No comments: